Sunday, March 9, 2008

Books and crooks and books more!



"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers."
-Charles W. Eliot, The Happy Life, 1896




It's strange, as a teen, I didn't care much for reading. Now that I've grown older, I've come to appreciate all that it is. I sometimes lose time while in a bookstore. One hand full of warm coffee, the other fingering through pages of lived experiences. This semester of school is a dragging one (but hey, which one has been easy?). Once it is all over, I fully plan to finish writing the book. It's been pieced together here and there over the past year or so. Fiction has become a rarity in my life, which has been a rather unpleasant fact. Don't get me wrong, Zinn and Ward are wonderful to read, but I sometimes long for those stories that aren't based on real events. Those are the ones that often make your real life better.


On an unrelated note, I finally got the chance to see the Russian Museum of Art in Minneapolis. I can't really put it into words, but it's well worth the price of admission ($5). Top it off with some Alexander Pushkin and some Peter and the Wolf, and you have yourself an interesting night.


And on another unrelated note, Drew will be in town in a few days. It's always good when the foundations of your life come up to the windows every once in a while for a visit. As you can see, this is a very crooked photo of Drew at my house (circa 1999) eating Ramen noodles and letting me know about the Westside....

I also posed 2 questions that I haven't quite been able to shake out of my head. 1. How much of our life is the result of luck, whether good or bad? 2. If given the chance, what part of your life would you re-do? Either relive, or change completely? Maybe I will resolve these in the coming weeks and include them into the book somehow.....

Daylight savings time is lame. I still haven't adjusted....guh.

Happy Sunday. - Jon

1 comment:

xxxx said...

It takes me like a month to adjust to daylight savings, I swear.

I don't know if I would redo. You know that movie Sliding Doors? I guess I won't ruin it if you haven't, but suffice it to say I probably can't answer that til I get to the end ... THEN I'd decide.