Friday, August 22, 2008

JB the old man




So I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I'm an 80-year old man trapped in this 20's body. I've recently discovered the wondrous pleasures in traditional shaving. OK, for YEARS I stuck to the: Wet face, apply cheap foam, shave and rinse. It worked well for many years, but once I found a straight razor, shaving soap and a lather brush, everything changed. People always say "JB, my grandpa used to use that junk, go with evolution, don't fight it". Wrong. This combination is great. If you look around, you can find good quality stuff and it makes the mornings a little less hectic. Consider traditional shaving black. Once you do it, you'll never go back. Unless of course you're that guy in the movie "Soul Man".

I'm also one of the few people I know that still goes to a barber. And not like a great clips/Aveda school dropout, but a real old school barber. The place I go has old guys who NEVER get their haircut. They just show up, read the paper, play chess and talk about everything from the good ol' days to women. I'm a true believer in the quote "All the worlds problems can be solved in the barber shop or around a campfire". These old guys are great. They talk about the Winter of 38 and how the snow was 10 feet high. The best part is that their stories change every time they tell it....One day, I'll be that old man ranting about nothings and chasing kids off my lawn with a broom.

I'm also finding old records to be entertaining. I've always preferred records to CD's and an ipod, but now I'm ebay'n old records from Gil Scott Heron. I've also got original 12'' from Run DMC and Al Green. I need to find a bigger closet for my records because the one I currently use is filled up.....

I'm really not looking forward to teaching this fall. I enjoy my days to write, flick and bike--now I need to focused on kids education.

So I rebuke my previous rant on the Olympics. I caught Shawn Johnson and in about 5 years, she'll be pretty fly. I also watched the volleyball matches.....I guess there was nothing else on TV at that time.

And the great Minnesota get together is going on. I'll probably go and hit up the State Fair and have my fill of food on a stick. I also dig the animal barns (I'm not sure why). And it doesn't matter what time of the day/night you go, the beer gardens are ALWAYS packed with drunk farmers. It's hilarious.

Well, I'm off to try to nap before work. The past 3 nights I've had the song "Angel Dust" stuck in my head.....damn soul music.

No comments: