Monday, August 18, 2008

Dear Summer/I guess I'm un-American



So I got a ton of nasty looks the day while in Barnes and Noble. I was perusing through books looking for the new book by Jack Pendarvis called Awesome. OK, any book named Awesome is more then enough to get my attention. I find the book (the last one) and go through my ritual of "should I buy this novel or not". That usually consists of re-reading the first paragraph a few times and then jump to the middle and read some excerpts. You see, most writers will spend the most time on the first sentence and last paragraph over any other part of the book. The first paragraph was talking about some guy who found a derby and was convinced it was the coolest thing of ALL TIME. Right away I assumed this guy was a lot like me. Needless to say I was laughing out loud during my reading and some book snobbers gave me the stinky eyes. In the end, I didn't buy the book. Instead, I decided to rekindle my vow from when I was 16 years old...To finish Ulysses by James Joyce. I still can only muster 30 pages before I get lost. The book is INSANELY good, but a little different from others from the same time period.






And on my un-American tandem, I can't stand the Olympics. EVERYONE is like "JB, how can you dislike the Olympics"??? Simple, the sports being televised are boring. I said it, boring. The only thing I can watch is basketball, which is pretty much lame because Steve Nash, Shawn Kemp and Christian Laettner aren't playing. But, unknown to me, Alicia Sacramone is a hottie. So I watched the gymnastics routine (where she fell twice ((maybe because she's a tad top heavy). Anyway, she gets my vote for "most likely to end up in Playboy". I'd watch tennis, but it has yet to be shown. Is BMX really an Olympic sport?? and beach volleyball? I can't imagine the ancient Greeks who began this competition were thinking "You know, the track and field stuff is good, but we REALLY need Zack Morris out here playing volleyball on some sand".




And summer is pretty much winding down in Minneapolis. We drudge on for 9 months out of the year for the glorious 3 month span of heaven. Speaking of spans, way to go Dernard. It is supposed to be a great week of weather, and next week I get to look forward to school again......Thankfully, it's the last semster (hopefully).




And because the Republican National Convention is here in the Twin Cities in a few weeks, anti-GOP graffiti has been popping up everywhere......






Get Out Phascists on Highway 280












Greed Over People on Univeristy Ave in Dinkytown
















Get out Phascists on the Grain Belt sign in downtown.









And in case you haven't heard, Where The Wild Things movie comes out next year. I'm quite pumped.
That's about it. It's off to write a paper.


No comments: