Sunday, September 30, 2007

Greatness comes at 421/422





For those of us who live in Minnesota, we all know about the Packers. Of all the teams within the NFL, the Pack are the Vikings arch-nemesis. They are the Joker to Batman, Lex Luther to Superman, Gargamel to the Smurfs, Zach Morris and AC Slater. But of all the Packers players, Brett Favre is the face and number of Green Bay. There is no question that he is the most legendary quarterback (and probably player) in the NFL right now. Some were lucky enough to be at the Metradome today (cough-cough), and witness the record held by Dan Marino broken. That record was the most touchdowns ever thrown by a quarterback. I gotta give it up to the fans in Minnesota. When that touchdown was thrown, EVERYONE stood up and gave an ovation. An applaud that was long overdue. To see someone of that caliber playing at a level that most thought was long gone, is something to tell your grand kids about. When its all said and done, I don't think Brett will care about the records, but he will care about the game. For those of us who have seen the guy play, you know that there is probably no player that plays with the emotion he does. It truly is something to be amazed at. Feel what you will about the Packers, Brett Favre is a legend that can still go out there and sling it better than most.
A question I've been pondering is why are some teams fans so insanely devoted? Look at the Packers, they could lose every game of the year, and Lambeau would still be sold out. Same with the the Cubs. Why can't we be like that in Minnesota? Granted, I'm calling the kettle black (being a Cubs fan myself), but why don't people in Minnesota rally around their teams like other states? Oddly enough, I've seen way more Cubbies games than Twins. And I've taped every Packers game since 1994, and bought every Sports Illustrated, Time and People magazine with a Packer on the cover.I own more Packers memorabilia than anyone I know, and I actually devoted an entire room in my house to the team. Yeah, I'm sorta lame that way. I've cheered my teams through playoffs, Superbowl's, and horrible losing seasons, but they're still my teams. I've always been a hard Northstars fan, but haven't quite fallen in love with the Wild....but maybe one day.
I just wanted to say big up to the Packers. Its nice win a few games every once in a while. And like I said a few weeks ago--watch out for Adrian Peterson aka the rookie of the year. Lets just hope the green and gold can stay on this pace for the rest of the year. So congrats Brett. 422!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Tard,

Congratulations to Brett Favre on breaking the record today. The only better place to have broken it of course would have been Lambeau Field. But there are, always have been, and always will be a great deal of Packer fans here in Minnesota [or as Packer fans call it, "The Land Where Fire Comes out of Sticks (we call those lighters), The Magical World of Rubber Bands [you simpletons are amazed by those things. It's so cute) , or The Place Where We DON'T Marry our Cousins (do you understand that's wrong?)].

Minus the drugs and booze I'm a huge Favre guy. To put him in the conversation that he and Montana are the greatest quarterbacks to play the modern game is obvious.

I still love the NFL film story of Montana walking up to the huddle during Super Bowl XXIII, down by 3, with 3:10 left in the game, and at their own 8 yard line. The lineman were starting to question if the could pull the game of their lives out of a hat. Montana looks down the field and said, "Isn't that John Candy in the end zone?". Everyone looked down there and it was, but it turned out to be the miniature "Patton" speech they needed. They spoke of how that his "Cool" gave them the confidence to finish that game with a win.

Who's the best? Who's the best football player in history? I'll leave that for adult fantasy football "team owners" who still live in their parents houses.

I just like both of them.

As far as your questions regarding support for professional sports teams in this town. The Twin Cities metro area is just over 2,800,000 people. There are are around 64,000 seats in the Metrodome.

In contrast Green Bay has just over 100,000 people and Lambeau Field has seats for just shy of 73,000 people who urinate in sinks.

Or you could say the Metrodome has seats for .02% of our population.

Lambeau Field has seats for 73% of their population.

We are not even talking apples and oranges here.

We're talking apples(Green Bay) and iPhones(Minneapolis).

Green Bay shuts down when they play their games.

I didn't even remember the game here today until I was on my way home from my friends this afternoon.

We have other things going on here that pro sport teams here have to battle with. We have (non-sports based)theater, museums(not based on beer or football), movie theaters (did you guys hear that they made some more Star Wars films?), etc.

I like the Packers. I really like the idea of municipalities owning teams. I love their fans, albeit tenuously.

So congrats to Brett just the same.

Anonymous said...

Making online friends I see. And by being at their "friends" house, kinda reinforces the point that people in Minnesota don't support their teams like they should. As a Twin Cities dweller myself, I still prefer the Bengals. I hope they smack the Pats tonight....And the Cubbies and Reds right??