Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Mike Cooper

When someone passes away, there comes that moment of emptiness after you hear. Thoughts about the last thing you said to them, the last laugh you had, and the last time you said "see you later".
When I heard the very unfortunate news this morning that Mike Cooper passed on, I thought about all of that...I'm still thinking about all of that. Mike meant a lot of things to a lot of people. During my high school years, Mike was one of my closest friends. After high school, people grow apart, but we kept in touch from time to time. Looking back now, I wish I would have stayed in closer contact.
Hearing the phone calls from everyone today reminded me that I need to stay in touch with people more often. That "see you later" can be a week, month, year, or in some sad cases, never again.
Mike was one of my favorite people that I've had the pleasure of knowing in my life. At first glance, he came off with a rock-hard exterior. But for those that knew him, knew that on the inside he was pure silly-putty. To this day, he was one of the nicest, most reliable guys I've ever known.
I can honestly say that knowing Mike has shaped who I am today. I never got the chance to tell him that. I wish I could rewind 24 hours to just give him a call.
I can also say I have no bad memories of Mike. No fights, no arguments, nothing. Every memory I have of him is good. Even though he threatened to beat me up one day because I kept tagging the bathroom where he worked--and he had the duty of ALWAYS having to clean it up. And sometimes I would tag it just so he had to clean it.
I'll never forget all those Saturday nights at Nokomis Lanes. Or how hard he laughed when he would see me with a pool cue (not the whole stick, just the bottom part--in case something went down). Or how the bus drivers on the 23 route knew our first names. Or how the first time I met him, he tried to sell me shoe laces--and I actually bought some.
Mike is one of those people you rarely get to meet, and when you do, they leave an impression on your life forever.
We love you Mike. Always have, and always will
-Johnny B

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember Mike from Washburn. He was such a nice guy. He will be missed....