Sunday, November 6, 2011

Night Time is the Right Time


I've always been fascinated with the nighttime. 2am (especially on a week day) has a different feeling to it. It almost feels as though the city itself is sleeping. It might have something to do with the fact that when I was between the ages of 14-26 I spent a lot of my time roaming around in the night doing things that I probably shouldn't have been doing. And the places I was at were even more desolate in the night. Take for instance an abandoned building, a train yard, or a rooftop on the outskirts of downtown Minneapolis. Even in the day, these places are isolated from the wandering public, and the nighttime enhances those characteristics. For the record, I am not counting Hennepin Ave. at bar closing as being part of this nighttime feeling, though it shouldn't be fully excluded. I should really explore this concept more in depth...perhaps a new book based on short stories? Maybe.

No comments: