Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Too-day Tuesday

Ah Tuesday. Not as lame as Monday but still not as cool as Thursday......


As it's vacation day #2, I decided to indulge in some arts and....well, no crafts. If you live in Minneapolis currently, you know it was about 95 degrees today. It was the perfect, sunny day to be bopping around town. The first stop was at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts.



I tried to take some more flicks outside, but the sun-glare ruined it.....


There really wasn't anything new inside except for a few works here and there, but I still lost track of time and realized it 3 HOURS LATER! I got there around 10 in the morning and the next time I checked my watch it was almost 1:30! Oh well, it was time well spent. I find it strange that all art museums seem to have a similar smell. I actually like it. I would have to say that the MIA is one of the best free spots in the state.


After the MIA, I biked on over to the sculpture garden. There were all kinds of people there today. There was a lady taking senior pictures of another girl and she almost fell in the spoon-pond. I chuckled. I didn't have the time to take pics of the 40 sculptures, so I settled on the main ones.












It's the IDS building in between the bicycle. I wish I could use my film camera and actually take a picture that's good, but I'm still using the digital......















I would venture to say that the cherry and spoon is one of the most recognizable/photographed things in Minneapolis. I decided that I would go with the popular trend and flick it also. I'm pretty sure the person in the white shirt is the one who almost fell into the pond.






If you turn to your right from the cherry spoon, you can see the basilica. If I weren't so tired, I would have walked across the bridge and flick some stuff over by Loring Park......but I didn't













And this is from on top of the hill by the Walker Art Center. As you can see below, there is an "art inspired" putt-putt golf center set up. It was actually pretty good. If I had more time, I may have played a game. So I sat on this hill for about a half hour and pondered how to include this into the new book.....











To top it all off, I caught a little league game. This is my little brother (from the Big Brothers program) H. He struck out twice.....but they won the game. I'm pretty sure it was the last game of the season.















And of course, nothing caps a summer day quite like some gelato. The best place I've found for it in the Twin Cities is at Fat Lorenzos (I recommend the Stracciatella or Frutti di Bosco). So I took my cup and hung out by Lake Nokomis for a while.





This is Lake Nokomis. The southern end of Minneapolis. Still only 5 miles from downtown though.







So as I'm writing this, the All Star Game is in the 14th inning and all tied up....See National League, if Derrick Lee were in, this wouldn't have happened......
Well, since the news is predicting rain the next day or so, I'll be doing tedious work around the house. I'd flick some of it, but it's probably boring......
Thursday and Friday should allow for some interesting festivities though....After all, it is the 10 best days of summer.
I need to find a new book to read...I spent almost an hour and a half at Barnes and Noble tonight looking for something new and good. Everything I found seemed humdrum.
Oh, and the Dark Knight comes out this week. I'll have to catch it at some point in time.......They should make a comic book movie about Calvin and Hobbes..

1 comment:

xxxx said...

Calvin and Hobbes is like my favorite thing ever. AND ... whenever I pass a little league game, I always stop and watch. Always, always.